Answer: Coloured hair will always have a nasty habit of fading, however red hair fades like no other! Red dyes rinse out more easily than brown or blonde dyes. To make matters worse, red hair is more likely to become damaged or faded as a result of UV exposure.
Luckily there are a number of little things you can do to help make your colour last:
- After having your hair coloured, wait two days before washing it
- Protect your hair from UV exposure with a hat, scarf or a hair protection product
- Avoid shampoos that contain sulfate
- Use a shampoos and conditioners that are specifically designed for colour treated hair
- Avoid washing your hair every day
- Wash your hair in cold water (if you're brave enough!)
I would also recommend using a colour enhancing conditioner once or twice a week. One of the best I have ever used is the Aveda Madder Root Colour Conditioner 250ml (£20.00 aveda.co.uk / $18.00 aveda.com). I honestly cannot recommend this product highly enough. This miracle conditioner contains madder root which helps to purify the scalp and hair. The natural colours of the madder root also intensify red hues, resulting in vibrant and glossy red hair that lasts!